Thursday 21 May 2015

Ditching The Diet.

This is the time of year when I start panicking about the family holiday we've booked and the fact I still haven't shifted a single pound of weight this year.

I look in the shops at the swimsuits and bikini's and think to myself, I won't buy something until I've gone down a size.  Sadly I never seem to go down a size and then when I want to buy some clothes for my summer holiday the shops have decided that August is the time to get the jumpers and coats back out on display and I am left with the dregs of non matching bikini's on the sale rails.

So this year is going to be different.  I use the MyFitnessPal app on my phone. If you've not used it before, it's free on Android & Apple, you can log your goals, your daily food intake and exercise
even if it is mowing the lawn, moderate housework or walking the dog!  On looking back over my past 2 years sporadic weigh-ins, I am in no better place than I was then. Oh I've gone down by about a stone but inevitably put it back on again plus an extra couple of lb's each time.

Not A Bad Day
I have a 5 year old daughter, and whilst she has no body issues now, I also don't want her to be worrying about them in the future. Younger and younger children are starting to worry about their body image.  I am well aware that parents and in particular Mums are the ones who project their issues onto their children. If a parent is constantly dieting it's not healthy.  So I have decided to "ditch the diet".  This doesn't mean I'm not going to do my best to lose some weight but it means making healthy choices regarding what I eat.  I don't want my children thinking "diet" means you live on a lettuce leaf and half a tomato or drink a meal replacement shake.  I'm educating them that they need, a mix of everything including some fats and some sugars. A piece of chocolate isn't the worst thing they can eat, IF it's in moderation.  I chose to eat the same meals as my family in the evenings and showing my children a way to make healthy choices and hopefully a long term healthy life style.





No comments:

Post a Comment