Thursday 28 May 2015

Books My Kids Love and Some I Don't.

I have never liked The Hungry Caterpillar. 

I don't mind the story, it's the artwork I'm not keen on.  Something about it seems odd and I wish it was updated. Sadly it makes me not want to read it to my children.  Another one is The Tiger Who Came To Tea. It's not the artwork for this one and I quite like there's a 72 bus in there which I used to get as a child to go visit my Grandma.  I don't know why I don't enjoy this "classic".
I'm also sure I can't be the only one to think Roald Dahl was incredibly odd.  I've read most of his children's books and reading them as an adult, they are just downright weird!

I far more prefer rhyming stories, especially the Julia Donaldson ones.  The Snail and The Whale being one of my favourites along with The Giraffe Who Got In A Knot by John Bush.  The illustrations are superb and mention must be given to Axel Scheffler and Paul Geraghty for these two.  But what about our children and what do they like to read?

My 5yo is learning to read and she is very taken with the Biff, Chip & Kipper books from the Oxford Reading Tree.  We've bought a box set and are working our way through them. But there aren't any books she particularly returns to time and time again. We have Kipper stories, Wibbly Pig, Thomas The Tank Engine's, The Gruffalo, Princess stories, The Usborne Farm collection, Aliens in Underpants and many many more.

The 9yo sadly has no love of reading.  I've always read to both my children, bedtime stories are part of our routine and he will happily sit and listen to me read to him. We've worked our way through a Roald Dahl box set, currently on Harry Potter and The Chamber of Secrets and have a whole Michael Morpurgo box set to work through.  

What books do your children enjoy and what would you recommend?

1 comment:

  1. Oh I agree about Roald Dahl stuff being really weird but my eldest (just 10) loves him! He also loves Michael Morpurgo so good luck with that! ;) And Diaries of a Wimpy Kid. We all love Julia and Axel though. Thanks for linking up to #MBPW :)

    ReplyDelete