Friday 17 April 2015

Exhausting Easter Part 2

SO, I left you all on Easter Sunday with everyone; bar me and my cast iron stomach, fighting for pole position in our one bathroom.  I let them all have the day off on Easter Monday too, just to help with the recovery. Luckily because the weather was nice, I could leave my windows open to try and get rid of the noxious gas fumes three people with poorly tummies leave.

Tuesday was back to our days of fun!.  Well it was back to work for Mr.M but for me and the tiddlers it was a trip to London.  Back last summer when we were basking in the 40° heat of Malta we met a lovely family who also had a 9 year old but their version didn't seem as moody as mine.   By the virtue of social media and Xbox 360 live, we all managed to keep in touch. We arranged to meet up in London.


Something none of us had done was a London Duck Tour.  If you haven't seen or heard of them, they are ex amphibious WWII utility trucks that take you on a tour of London then into the river Thames. Yes you saw it right! They drive right into the water!  The tour starts at Westminster Bridge near the London Eye, it takes you off towards Westminster Palace & The Houses of Parliament, Big Ben, past Trafalgar Square and down Pall Mall.  We sauntered past St James' Palace and Buckingham Palace, past Tate Britain and the Headquarters of MI5 & MI6 back towards splashdown.  The 5 year old found the tour itself a little boring but I enjoyed the commentary from our Tour guide. He was knowledgeable and gave some fun information rather than just a standard commentary.  The 5 year old was more excited about getting into the water and shouting "quack" at any other DUCK's she saw.  The tour itself was 90 minutes which was far longer than I expected but at least I felt like I'd got my money's worth.  It was £70 for a family of four.  

After a quick lunch at McDonald's we went into the London Aquarium.  As Merlin pass holders, we've been in here a few times but probably not for a couple of years. It's a lovely place to be and I always feel like I'm almost in a Tardis. It certainly gives off the air of being a lot bigger on the inside than the outside.  I'd like to tell you all about the fish but there are so many different varieties it's impossible. Obviously we looked for Nemo and Dory. My favourite part is the new addition of penguins! You can be so close and truly admire their sleek beauty.

We must have been in the Aquarium for a couple of hours and whilst the kids were enjoying their slushies we left and strolled along the Southbank in search of a well earned cup of tea.  We sat at a table in the sunshine, the kids played "it" and got in everyones way.  Before too long it was time to go back to the train station to get our trains home.

We left each other with big smiles and promises to meet up again for another lovely day.


No comments:

Post a Comment